I paint details. Oh I paint objects and ideas and narratives, but underneath it all – it is all about details and how they relate to each other. I find details fascinating, I look for them everywhere, I am in love with them, so I paint them.
I like series, so I paint in series. They are like long books that are too good to allow to end. My two more developed series are Memory Blocks and Crinkled Paper. Memory Blocks builds on exploring and relating to individual’s history, and Crinkled Paper is an exercise in meditation. It is fascinating to me that my viewers are interested in things that so internal to me.
I started drawing in 2009 and painting shortly after that – a late comer. I have studied with three great artists. Kaye Buchman taught me to paint, to literally hold a brush, and discovered my style for me – I had no idea. George Sotos taught me how to see. Ed Hinkley was a pivotal point in my studies, he mentioned in passing about putting a right color into a right shape… – I have become a painter when I got that. But mostly I studied by obsessively observing works of Caravaggio, Van Eyck, Rembrandt, Sargent, and Russian Peredvizhniks and trying to figure out how did they create their images.
When I am not painting, I am sketching. I am an Urban Sketcher and a founder of the Chicago chapter of Urban Sketchers. When I am not painting or sketching, I teach painting. So I am busy!
- Unwrapping, solo show, Mostly Glass Gallery – December 2014
- Matite in Viaggio, Centro Candiani, Venice Italy – October 2014
- 6″ Squared, Randy Higbee Gallery, Costa Mesa, CA
- 6 x 6 Show, Bucks County Gallery, New Hope, PA
- WaterWorks, August House Gallery, Chicago IL
- Art on the Edge, Thorndale Gallery, Chicago IL
- SOFA Chicago 2008, Chicago IL
- SOFA Chicago 2007, Chicago IL
- SOFA New York 2006. NYC, NY – Dealer Choice
- Chicago Art Open, Art Museum of Vietnam Veterans, Chicago IL
- Primary Colors, Artisans Center of Virginia, Waynesboro VA
- Beverly Arts Center of Chicago, Chicago IL
- 7th International Open, WomanMade Gallery, Chicago IL
- Women’s Works 2004, Northwest Area Arts Council, Woodstock IL – People’s Choice award
- 3rd Annual Exhibition, Lemon Street Gallery, Kenosha WI
- Artists for Peace, Justice and Civil Liberties Gallery, Boulder CO
- Winter Art Expo, Evanston Art Center, Evanston IL – Expo front piece
- The Art of Beadwork, Bead Society of Greater Chicago, Chicago IL